Saturday, January 5, 2013

Not the End of this Table


Over the summer I found this end table at a thrift store. It was in unloved shape but something about it made me decide to buy it, take it home, and turn it into what I assume it used to be. Plus it only cost $6 and I figured if I didn't get it back in shape it wouldn't be the end of the world. 

Sorry, I forgot to take a picture before I started but I think you get the idea of the shape it was in.

 

 
I was hoping my sander would take off all the vanish and stain but no luck so I had to use a stripper. 
 

 A note about this piece of furniture
I found, stamped on the bottom of the table, "Cheatham Furniture Company of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma", so I did a google search and found that the company was in business in 1946 and currently listed as dissolved. The owner was listed as James Cheathman Jr. 

With a little more searching I found the obituary in The Daily Oklahoman (dated May 27, 1975) for Mr. Cheathman. It reported that the man who was involved in some way in creating this piece of furniture was a native of Oklahoma City who was married with three sons, two daughters, and six grandchildren. He attended the University of Oklahoma, sailed, and played golf. 

I hope he would be happy with the way his table's restoration turned out.  



4 comments:

  1. Very beautiful - you restored her perfectly and I know Mr. Cheathman would be proud!
    Thanks for sharing at the favorite furniture makeovers of 2012 party!
    Stacey of Embracing Change

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have that looking so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks May, and thanks for visiting my page. The table is currently on sale at a local shop and hopefully will find a new home soon. Enjoy your weekend.

      Delete