Saturday, January 12, 2013

Oil Rubbed Bronze Candle Holders


 Over the holidays I looked and looked for silver candle holders with no luck. Of course the week after Christmas I found these (only 2 of 3 shown in the picture)

  





Now its not that I don't like silver for every day but I like it much better during the holidays. So, the dilemma was..save them for next Christmas or figure out how to recreate them into something that will work all the time. 












I searched the internet and for an inspiration and found these really cool holders at Pottery Barn:

 
 Hmmmm....wasn't really sure how to recreate this but I did like the cast bronze look, so I used the Rust-oleum oil rubbed bronze spray paint I had left over from a past project and got to work.
  

 

After I was done spraying the oil rubbed bronze on all three holders I left the project to start the mercury-glass-vase  project (remember, I finally found the Looking Glass spray paint). 
When I came back to this project I wondered what would happen if I sprayed over the oil rubbed bronze with the left over looking glass spray. I figured that if I didn't like it I would just spray paint the bronze back over it. 
 
Now the interesting part...after I sprayed the glass spray over the bronze spray, this is what started to happen;


Of course I did then sprayed all of the bases:

 

  


 Then I sprayed the tops;
of all of them;


And each one came out different, naturally, and on their own. They started to take on a life of their own and I was hooked. No, they didn't look exactly like the inspiration pieces but there were similarities. Both sets have a bronze color and both have a design element. I like!!!

I finished off each candle holder with a polyurethane spray:

The finished piece in it's new home on our mantel;


 

4 comments:

  1. So pretty!
    Thanks for sharing - have a blessed week!
    Stacey of Embracing Change

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stacey. Amazing how lovely a mistake can be.

      Delete