Monday, February 25, 2013

Murray Hill

I have to admit that I am not a winter gal. I love the spring, summer, and fall but the winter...not so much. I might like it better if we ever got any snow but it rarely occurs. The average temperature is around 40 degrees, not real cold but not warm enough to spend much time outside. So....yesterday, with a high of 52 degrees and mostly sunny I just could not stay inside. I dragged my husband (and Buttons) out for a walk in one of my favorite neighborhoods in Annapolis...Murray Hill. 

a view from Acton Park (below) in the Murray Hill neighborhood

 
Murray Hill is a neighborhood known for its diverse mix of architecture with homes constructed in many different eras and styles. In 1890 owner of Acton Hall (Place) James D. Murray and heirs developed what was then called Acton and began selling lots. Renamed "Murray Hill" by Mr. Murray, lots were offered at a fraction of the cost of downtown Annapolis land but sales were slow. A poor economy and a location considered too far from the center of town kept sales slow until the 20th century when the U.S. Navel Academy and Annapolis Emergency Hospital (1902) opened attracting new professionals to the city. 

Acton Hall build in the late 18th century (photo from 1957)

Acton Hall - photograph taken by me 2/24/2016
So here is a view from our walk through Murray Hill. If you ever have the chance to visit Annapolis make sure you take a walk through this lovely community. 













  
Thanks for visiting,

 

No comments:

Post a Comment