Monday, July 1, 2013

Under the Sea Candle Holder

While wandering around the fabric store I stumbled on the aisle with children crafts all marked down 70%. I bought a package of little tissue paper squares in various colors. I wasn't sure what I was going to do with them but with a price of $1.20 I figured it was a safe purchase. Being in the beachy- summery mood I decided to stick with it and create something along those lines. I hope you like it and also enjoy the tutorial.


TUTORIAL
Supplies: 
  1. Tissue Paper (if you can't find the little squares, buy any larger size and cut them the way you want).
  2. Glass Vase or Candle Holder (the one used in this project came for the dollar store)
  3. Mod Podge
  4. Paintbrush
  5. Candle (also from the dollar store)


The the paint brush, paint the Mod Podge onto the vase. I did this in sections so I could place pieces of tissue down without worrying about the Mod Podge drying. 



I placed all of the blue pieces down and then went over the entire vase again with another coat of Mod Podge. To dry, I placed it on a paper towel.

 I cut the pieces that overlapped off with a razor blade after the entire vase dried.

Next I cut out random pieces of yellow tissue paper. I cut out circles and triangles of different sizes. To keep it modern I tried NOT to be neat with the shapes. I wanted it to be artsy. 



After I was done with the yellow shapes I painted another layer of Mod Podge.
I wanted a contrasting color and decided to add a little black, again using random placement and haphazard shapes.




After all the black tissue shapes were placed, I painted on one last coat of Mod Podge and set to dry overnight. 

And here is the finished product with a lit candle. 




Thanks for visiting, 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Debbie,

    What a fun project and
    the result is beautiful!
    A good addition to s
    beach house!

    Bear Hugs,
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carolyn. It is a fun project and one that could easily be done with kids. Your right...it would be great in a beach house. Now...I just have to figure out how to buy a beach house..LOL

      Delete